Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Progress

I'm finally past the writer's block, I hope, and am well into my final chapter. I just have some loose ends to wrap up and then an epilogue to write and I'm ready to start the editing process. I know there's still a lot of work ahead of me, but I really feel good about how this has progressed.

I suppose I'm a little disheartened at the lack of external enthusiasm, but I can't really expect people to get excited about something they know nothing about. My husband is going to start working on finding a way for me to publish a portion of the book safely online and as soon as I am done writing, I'm going to get it copyrighted. Then I'll be able to share more of the details of the book, hopefully generating some excitement for the finished product.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to go through these old blogs and laugh at it all.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting out of your writer's block! I've been experiencing that a lot lately. I recently finished my first novel, and it was really hard to do. I loved my characters so much I didn't want to let them go. So good luck finding your ending. What do you write anyway? Based on your profile, I think we have a lot in common--kids, staying up late, sleeping in, chocolate ice cream, and most importantly writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so attached to my characters, I've already started outlining my next book with them. I'm also very protective of them, though. My husband doesn't even really know my characters even though we talk about the book all time. It's going to be hard letting them go so other people can experience them, too, if that makes any sense.

    I am finding it hard to end this book, though. I thought this last chapter would be a quick wrap up of all the important things that had happened, but I find I'm having lengthy conversations. So it might be a few more days before I get to the end.

    What have you done since you finished writing your novel? Have you given it to people to read? Are you looking for an agent or going to try to self publish? I think once I get into my editing mode, I'll be able to focus more on the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,
    I have edited the crap out of my first novel. In fact, so much so that I've cut about 25,000 words! Yes, others have read it and loved it, but does family count??? I queried 23 agents and got a dozen rejection, 2 requests for partials (ultimately rejected), and the rest were no responses. I don't think I'll try to self publish. I've heard it's not a good idea. Currently, I am working on the sequel and another project while also trying to edit the completed MS some more. It's a very long process, but I am enjoying every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete